Practice with Punctuating Quotes
The Daily Struggle
- "O.K., class, I'd like to collect the homework," announced Daryl.
- One student replied, "Did we have homework?"
- The other students laughed. Daryl sighed.
- "Yes, we had homework. I always give homework," she said.
- "Why do you always give homework?" asked some students. "You give too much!"
- "Because I want you to learn," replied Daryl.
- Again, laughter filled the room.
- "No, really, I'm serious. I want you to learn as much as you can!" Daryl emphasized.
- "Miss Daryl?" asked another student.
- "You can just call me Daryl."
- "I did the assignment, but this morning my alarm clock didn't go off, my baby was crying, the car wouldn't start, and I left my homework on the kitchen table," the student explained.
- Daryl smiled in sympathy and said, "That's sounds like a bad day. It happens. Bring your assignment next time, O.K.?"
- Another student explained, "I didn't really get what we were supposed to do on this worksheet."
- "I didn't know that you were going to collect this," a third student said.
- Daryl kept a smile on her face although she didn't feel very happy inside. In her head, she said to herself, "Well, tomorrow is another day."